Poetry beyond books
Poet in the City brings poetry to life beyond books, producing classic and contemporary poetry performances taking on major ideas, issues and people. We showcase biopics, use poetry to animate moments of cultural and social change, and create dramatic poetry experiences in major arts venues and unusual spaces.
Audiences are at the heart of Poet in the City; we work with a thriving community of volunteers who are involved in all aspects of our work, deliver creative audience participation programmes and lead a producers scheme for 16-25 year olds to train the next generation of poetry producers.
Last year alone:
- 8000 live audience members attended 42 events in 12 venues.
- We worked with 150 artists, and commissioned 4 new works of poetry.
- We collaborated with 26 different partners on events and projects.
- We developed 32 young people to become the poetry producers of the future.
- We programmed innovative new work for 300 school children.
- We continued to work with our family of 50 volunteers to continue to develop and inform our work.
Poet in the City has its roots in the City of London, and still maintains a direct link through city and corporate partnerships. Since our inception in 2003 we have grown from a subsidised poetry education project into one of the leading poetry organisations in the UK, receiving NPO funding from the Arts Council.